Beautiful day for paddling!

It was great to get back into the ocean after a break for a day to spend time with my two year old Grandson!  He is so much fun and talking now.  I paddled all the way down to the boat ramp and had a wind at my back, making it easy.  I hung out down at the boat ramp, hoping the turtles would come around, but they never showed!  My paddle back was a snap since the wind shifted and it was at my back again going the other way.  I almost feel guilty that I didn’t work out as hard as on other days, but the fact is every day is different!  Some days the paddling is easier and some days it is a real workout, but one thing is constant…..it is always wonderful to be out on the ocean!

My Grandson, Kalani visiting at Tutu's!

About wildwahinepaddler

I have been happily living on Maui for the past twenty-four years. I have been stand up paddling for over five years. I am married to Bob; have three grown children, five grandchildren,( two grandsons and three grand daughters.) I live in Kihei, on the South shore of Maui, right up the street from Kamaole Beach Park I. I paddle from Kam I almost every morning. I love living the island life and I love sharing my paddling adventures! Come join me! Maui No Ka Oi!
This entry was posted in women sharing stand up paddling adventures. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Beautiful day for paddling!

1. Dani D. says:

Hi Mary, just arrived on Maui a few hours ago and now on the ferry to Lana’i. The weather is gorgeous! Wonderful breeze. Can’t wait to get out there paddling ASAP.

2. mauimare says:

yes, a gorgeous day for snorkeling while paddling. Are we the most blessed gals you know?????????

3. Dani D. says:

Hi Mary~

Sorry it took me awhile to respond but it has been a busy week. Lana’i was lovely! Beautiful weather and so peaceful. We loved every minute. Did lots of pool time and spent some time up at the Lodge to do archery which was a blast. Also saw some great Jazz at Lana’i City Grille in the city.
    The paddling conditions at Manele Bay though were a bit challenging for a beginner! First, I should have gone in the morning instead of the afternoon. Second, the rental board was much narrower than I am used to and third, it was windy and choppy as heck out there with some big swells!
    We had an instructor with us which was nice since my husband had never paddled before but let me tell you this was NOT the place for him to try it the first time. LOL.
    I’ll be surprised if he ever tries it again in the ocean, he told me he’d try a nice flat lake before he officially swore it off.
    I on the other hand did…um…marginally? I took me a good hour of falling every which way I could and hitting myself in the face with the paddle, the board, sometimes I fell right on Nick the instructor (who was so awesome and patient).
    Basically I sucked salt water most of the time! He had us paddle out so far to try to escape the chop and find a spot protected by the wind. When I turned around to look at the shore I freaked out! I have never been that far out before. When I would fall in I couldn’t see the shore over the waves sometimes. It was a good experience though! I kept at it and pulled myself back on to that board about 100 times. In the second hour I managed to start standing up and paddling, but it only lasted moments (maybe 10 strokes) before I was in the drink again. Lucky for me the water in Hawaii is so warm. In Cali I would have been a popsicle with no wet suit!
    We met a nice couple from the Caribbean who told us they were shocked I could even stand up in those conditions as a beginner. They had been paddling for about 18 months and both said they had to turn around because the current was so strong. So all in all, I did OK. My hubby gave up after about 30 minutes and decided to watch from the beach. I was the only one out there paddling I guess so it was quite the little show for those on the beach! It was fun though and next time I come back I’ll be a better paddler and I’ll show that bay what for!
    It didn’t discourage me though. I came home and just ordered two boards from a SUP shop in Venice 🙂 They should be here next week! Bring on the Summer paddling! (or falling as the case may be…I’ll be ready).
    Next time I come to Maui maybe you can show me the ropes 🙂

4. WOW, thanks for all the info! It sounds like the conditions were pretty challenging and good for you, for hanging in there. Basically, I’m a big chicken!!!! If there is any sizeable shore break or waves of any kind, I DON’T GO OUT! I just want to relax and enjoy paddling (and get the work out), but I am not really in to the adrenaline. I know some folks are and that’s fine, but for me, I am respectful and aware of my limits! Lots of people are braver than I am, and I am okay with that. Hooray for warm Maui water!

I am glad you got to enjoy Lanai, it is very different over there, and the Lodge is a wonderful place! New boards? I’m so jealous. I have been looking at the 10′ 6″ boards that are 32 inches wide and not too thick. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find one here on Maui and I don’t know how much it would cost to get one shipped here. I would like to have at least two boards, so I can take other people out paddling sometimes. Next time you come to Maui, we definitely will go out paddling!!! My new thing is (thanks to one of my paddling friends), taking my mask and snorkel with me and snorkeling down at the coral and rocks! It’s been so fun and seeing turtles hiding and sleeping at the ocean floor, and big schools of fish, etc. has been great. Take care and keep paddling! Let us know how you like your new boards and share more of your paddling experiences!

5. Dani D. says:

Hi Mary –

The boards should be here next week. I ordered a Surftech Softop 10’6 that is 31.5 wide and 5 inches thick (which I think I’ll use as a loaner board for friends mostly) and I ordered a Naish Mana 10ft which is 32 inches wide and 4 3/4 thick.
    I’ll let you know how they ride after I take them out 🙂

Take care!
    Dani

6. Mary Lanser says:

Those sound nice! The width will really make the difference in how stable they are. Please do report on them, I really want to get a 10′ 6″. The six inches shorter can make a big difference in how hard it is to handle, like carrying it and loading it on the racks! I love my 11′ , but sometimes I just think it is a bit much to handle. I am going to check out Surftech online. Keep us posted!

7. Dani D. says:

Hi Mary –

I’m so happy I went to a SUP shop and they fitted me. I was ready to order an 11’6 or a 12 thinking I needed that as a beginner but they told me “short and wide is where it’s at”. LOL. Nice guys at this shop – the first all SUP shop in LA.
    They have given me awesome personal attention via email or phone and are delivering the boards personally. Also hooked me up with paddles, bags, racks… the whole deal. Really love that they are so into SUP and want to let everyone in on that fun. No weird surf shop/locals vibe here… they want everyone to love it. So, looking forward to trying out my new babies 🙂
    Let me know if you are ever in LA area! Would love to meet you and SUP somewhere calm – Marina Del Rey is lovely!
    Dani

8. Wow, sounds like a great place! You know, it is one of the things I really like about SUP, that so many people are interested in getting more people into the sport! With surfing (which I do know how to do, but never go), some places are really closed to people who are learning and there isn’t much encouragement for newcomers. Most everyone I have had contact with on land and online, (even in Brazil and The Netherlands, etc.) are so open to making friends and networking, it’s great! I just had a paddler from the Netherlands subscribe to my blog last week! I sure hope we go global because that would be fantastic, and it seems we are on our way already. Mahalo for sharing so much, and letting others share in your enthusiasm. Marina Del Rey sounds nice, but maybe in the summer? Believe it or not, in the years I have been on Maui, I am so NOT acclimated to the colder water anymore! Funny, huh?

Comments are closed.